Sights

1,987 locations, 17 categories.

Map
Mellenthin Church

Mellenthin Church

Mellenthin

The fieldstone building was erected in 1319 as a chapel and expanded with brick starting in 1338. The tower was added later. The pulpit dates from 1650, and the altar from 1755. The church’s interior is simple but features rich paintings.

Neubukow Church

Neubukow Church

Neubukow

The Neubukow City Church is a historic church building in Neubukow. Built on a fieldstone base, this early Gothic hall church dates back to the 13th century. The tower was built in the 15th century. Please contact the rectory to arrange a tour. In front of the church stands a memorial stone for Heinrich Schliemann.

Church Neuburg

Church Neuburg

Neuburg

Parish of Neuburg The village church of Neuburg, which is part of the Evangelical Lutheran parish of Neuburg in the district of Nordwestmecklenburg, is a brick building. It was first mentioned in a document in 1219. The architectural style, which reflects the transition from Romanesque to Gothic, indicates that the building was constructed at the beginning of the 13th century. Construction of the square tower was completed in 1361. The baroque altar and pulpit date from the beginning of the 18th century. Extensive restoration work was carried out in the 1970s and 1980s. The tower was re-roofed in 1992. The church is open from May to September from around 10 am to 4 pm. The key is otherwise available from the bakery next door or in the vicarage.

Neukloster Church

Neukloster Church

Neukloster

The monastery church "St. Maria im Sonnenkamp" once belonged to the Sonnenkamp monastery. The monastery church "St. Maria im Sonnenkamp" was built of brick immediately after the monastery was founded in 1219 and was largely completed before 1245. It is a single-nave building on a cruciform ground plan with square transept arms and choir as well as sacristy buildings and a northern side aisle.

Priepert Church

Priepert Church

Priepert

The Priepert Church is one of the many churches along the “Mecklenburg Lake District” pilgrimage route. The churchyard features impressive mulberry trees, and inside the building, an altar, a baptismal angel, and a harmonium await interested visitors. The half-timbered church building dates back to 1719. The layout of the church grounds and the church’s architecture itself show Central German influences. The floor plan is roughly square with a half-dodecagonal choir attached. The altarpiece and the angel leaning protectively over the baptismal font are definitely worth seeing. You can also admire a harmonium here, and a small book bazaar invites you to explore. As part of the “Hour of Music” event series, wonderful concerts take place in the church every Friday in July and August. Also during the summer, puppet shows for the whole family are held every Thursday evening in the church garden, beneath impressive mulberry trees.

Rambow Church

Rambow Church

Rambow

The present-day village church replaces the church at Domherrenhagen (abandoned in 1458) and was built beginning in 1485. Today, the “Rambow Church Association” is responsible for the church’s preservation. Initially, it likely had only a wooden bell tower. However, the building was expanded around 1590 by Dietrich Moltzan and in 1625–32 by his son, Berendt Ludolf Moltzan. The oak coats of arms of the latter and his wife, Anna von Staffhorst, are located on the east gable. To the west of the rectangular fieldstone building stands a narrow tower (1590) that once bore a very tall spire (31 m). For some time now, it has had only a temporary pyramid-shaped roof. Renaissance architectural ornamentation can be seen on the east gable (1632). The once richly gilded, three-part altarpiece features panel paintings on the front based on designs by Albrecht Dürer, depicting the Nativity, Passion, Resurrection, and Ascension of Christ. On the reverse side are paintings from the previous altar. The pulpit and the patron’s gallery also bear the coats of arms of the von Moltzan and von Bülow families. The pulpit, the altar, and the confessional date from 1590; the rest of the furnishings date from the last renovation in 1865. On the inner south wall is a coat-of-arms epitaph featuring a knight’s armor. Both elements refer to the Swedish General Carl Didriksson Ruuth. Among other things, he was a famous commander in Halberstadt, Landsberg/Warthe, and Stettin, and at the time of his death, he was the commander of Elbing. After the Thirty Years’ War, he came to Ulrichshusen in 1649–50; he was also the church’s patron and is buried here. In 1649, Ruuth also donated a tower clock with an hour bell. After 1822, it ended up in Penzlin under circumstances that are not entirely clear. After 20 years of negotiations, it was brought back to Rambow in exchange for another small bell. Since 2011, it has been ringing here every half hour. The inscription reads: “Every hour, one step closer, death creeps up, O Lord.” The church has had an organ only since 2011. It was built in 1933 by the long-established Danish firm Marcusson, whose instruments can also be heard in the cathedrals of Lübeck and Lund. Until 2011, it was located in Mannheim.

Rostock-Biestow Church

Rostock-Biestow Church

Rostock

The Biestow Village Church is the church in the Biestow district of Rostock. The current church building was consecrated on October 28, 1298. The church is constructed primarily of fieldstone. Its architectural style lies between the Romanesque and Gothic periods. Renovations have been necessary over the past 26 years. In 1988, the leaded-glass windows were replaced, and in 1992, the church roof was re-thatched. The organ was overhauled in 1993, and the chancel was redesigned in 1998. In 2000, interior renovations began, during which 16th-century murals were discovered in the vault of the chancel. The four archangels were restored to their original appearance and colors.

Church of St. Johannis Neubrandenburg

Church of St. Johannis Neubrandenburg

Neubrandenburg

The Sankt Johannis church is located in the center of Neubrandenburg and has a rich tradition of church music. Alongside the Concert Church, St. John's Church is one of the largest historic churches in Neubrandenburg. In addition to the extensive parish work, there are numerous choirs and a long tradition of varied concerts.

Satow church

Satow church

Satow

The church in Satow was rebuilt after the old church fell into disrepair. After the old church had fallen into disrepair, the first stones were brought to the building site for a new church in January 1864. The new church was built on the highest point near the vicarage.

Church Schlagsdorf

Church Schlagsdorf

The late Romanesque hall church from the 12th century impresses with its architectural features and rich historical furnishings. The baroque altar from 1641, a rare antler chandelier, the bronze baptismal font and the pulpit from 1703 make it a worthwhile destination for those interested in culture. The late Romanesque hall church was built at the end of the 12th century, with later additions in the 15th and 16th centuries. The unusual pillar position in the nave, inspired by Ratzeburg Cathedral, is striking. Worth seeing are the baroque altar from 1641, an antler chandelier with St. George, a baptismal font cast in bronze and the pulpit from 1703. The grounds also include a rectory, a cemetery, a war memorial and a lime tree. In addition to church services, there are also a number of exhibitions and art events.

Schwaan Church

Schwaan Church

Schwaan

The church is a single-nave, all-brick structure that was begun in the early 13th century as a Romanesque building and completed in the Gothic style in the mid-13th century. It is one of the oldest town churches in Mecklenburg and has been preserved in its original form to this day. The choir and nave are each covered by steep two-bay vaults, which, due to their imposing size, make a striking impression on the church interior. The tower on the west side of the nave appears massive and dominates the city center with its four-sided pyramidal spire. The church’s exterior façade features typical architectural elements from the Romanesque and Gothic periods. On the south side of the church is a later addition dating from 1830. The interior decoration is sparse. Of particular note is a 13th-century cross with a figure of Christ, which was likely expanded into a crucifixion group only in the 16th or 17th century, as well as a Madonna figure from around 1500, a sandstone baptismal font from 1589, and a wall epitaph from 1598. The church’s current interior furnishings—including the pews, pulpit, and altar—are Neo-Gothic and date from 1828–29. The organ was built in 1860 by Friedrich Winzer of Wismar. Guided tours are available by appointment. Concerts are held regularly in the church.

Sommersdorf Church

Sommersdorf Church

Sommersdorf

The church was built in the 17th century—probably on the site of an earlier structure—of fieldstone mixed with brick and featuring an eastern half-timbered gable on a roughly square floor plan. The western gable was rebuilt around 1900. The church has three relatively small segmental-arch windows on each long side and two on the east wall.

Church of St. Jacobi Greifswald

Church of St. Jacobi Greifswald

Greifswald

St. Jacob's Church, dedicated to the patron saint of fishermen, was first mentioned by name in 1280. The brick church consists of a three-aisled hall and the somewhat narrower square west tower. Until a fire in 1955, the originally taller tower still had a half-timbered top, which was not restored when the tower roof was reconstructed.

St. Mary's Church, Anklam

St. Mary's Church, Anklam

Anklam

St. Mary’s Church is a late Romanesque-Gothic hall church, the oldest parts of which date back to the 13th century. Notable features include medieval frescoes, an early Gothic baptismal font, a statue of the Virgin Mary from the former high altar dating from the 15th century, parts of the family altar from the 15th century, epitaphs from the Renaissance and Baroque periods, and remnants of the choir stalls from the destroyed St. Nicholas Church. The large Schurke organ was installed in 1962. In addition to church services, the church also hosts concerts by the St. Mary’s Choir.

St. Mary's Church, Greifswald

St. Mary's Church, Greifswald

Greifswald

St. Mary’s Church is a parish church located in the heart of Greifswald’s Old Town. St. Mary’s Church is open to visitors after the Sunday service until 1:00 p.m. During the months of June, July, and August, the following hours apply: Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. You can sign up for guided tours at the church office or inside the church. Construction of St. Mary’s Church, also known to Greifswald residents as “Dicke Marie,” likely began in the mid-13th century. Together with the city’s two other churches, St. Nikolai and St. Jacobi, it was first mentioned in a document in 1280. The church was built as a hall church and is today one of the most impressive examples of North German Brick Gothic architecture. Highlights inside the church include, in addition to the preserved colored paintings (14th century), the medieval courtroom, the large cargo-lifting wheel in the tower, the memorial chapel, the altarpiece—a replica of Correggio’s “Holy Night”—and the richly decorated pulpit (16th century).

Church of St. Marien Ueckermünde

Church of St. Marien Ueckermünde

Ueckermünde

Are you a fan of historic buildings? Then you've come to the right place. Our Marienkirche dates back to the 18th century and has been painstakingly renovated in recent years. Many old paintings and murals, combined with one of the numerous concerts, will make your visit a unique experience. The steeple of St. Mary's Church can be seen from miles away before entering Ueckermünde. St. Mary's Church has stood on this site since 1766. Part of the council stalls from a previous building dating back to 1593 have been preserved. The coats of arms and house marks of the council members give us an idea of their duties today. Also worth seeing in the church are the completely painted wooden ceiling and the three beautiful chandeliers. Several large oil paintings depict personalities such as the reformers Luther and Calvin as well as some Ueckermünde pastors. Like the paintings, the baptismal font also dates from the 17th century. The altar was renovated in 1961. In recent years, a lot of work has been carried out on the church building, which is important for the long-term preservation of this sacred building. The church tower was built in 1866 and renovated in the 1990s. It contains five bells, which could be recast thanks to a one-off fundraising campaign, as they were unfortunately defective. The roof was completely renewed. Inside, the valuable painted wooden ceiling was first saved and then restored a few years later at great expense. The façade was extensively renovated in 2013. The church now shines again in ochre and white, the original color scheme from 1766. Take a look at St. Mary's Church, attend a church service or one of the many concerts that take place here, especially in summer.

Steffenshagen Church

Steffenshagen Church

Steffenshagen

The church in Steffenshagen—a branch church of the Cistercian monastery in Althof/Doberan (founded in 1171 and 1186, respectively)—is one of the largest and most imposing village churches in Mecklenburg. The first documented mention of the German settlement village of Steffenshagen (Stephaneshagen) dates back to 1273. Image author: Chpagenkopf. Licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License The church in Steffenshagen—a branch church of the Cistercian monastery of Althof/Doberan (founded in 1171 or 1186)—is one of the largest and most stately village churches in Mecklenburg. The first documented mention of the German settlement of Steffenshagen (Stephaneshagen) dates back to 1273. The choir (eastern part of the church) is believed to have been consecrated about 30 years earlier. This section and the three eastern bays of the three-nave nave were built in the Gothic style. Three additional bays and the tower were reconstructed in the 19th century and consecrated in 1866. Ten bands of molded bricks featuring depictions of animals (griffin, lion, panther, tiger) and two vine leaf friezes symbolize the pagan-demonic environment of that time, against which Christianity was directed. In a sense, the twelve apostles stand guard in the so-called priest’s portal as a protection against this world. Although the church and congregation have been among the poor for centuries, they possess several valuable exhibits. The church was renovated from 1965 to 1973. During this time, the rooms beneath the organ loft were also furnished. Here, the congregation has space to hold services, community evenings, and classes even during the cold season. Image author: Chpagenkopf. Licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License

Strasen church

Strasen church

Wesenberg OT Strasen

Church in Strasen The church in Strasen was built between 1782 and 1784. Due to its atypical construction, you would never think it was a church at first glance. In 1969, the half-timbered tower was also removed due to dilapidation. The wooden Baroque pulpit altar has a very plastic-like appearance due to its whitish to yellowish hue. There is an organ on the gallery, which is very dark in color.

Tramm Church

Tramm Church

Tramm

The late-Medieval fieldstone church appears unspectacular only from the outside; inside, it is richly decorated. The rather simple-looking village church in Tramm sits atop a hill in the center of the village. It was built in the 15th century and features a mixture of fieldstone and brick masonry. Inside the building are numerous carved figures and murals dating from the time the church was built. Two commemorative plaques honor those from Tramm and Bahlenhüschen who fell in World War I and World War II. The church grounds, enclosed by a fieldstone wall, also feature a war memorial commemorating the Franco-Prussian War of 1870–71.

Wittenhagen Church

Wittenhagen Church

Wittenhagen

The present church dates from 1758. It is built of hewn rock. The so-called Cyclopean masonry is 1.60 m thick. What makes this church unique is its floor plan, which is a regular octagon with an interior diameter of 10.25 m. After the church had been left to near ruin, it was completely renovated in 1992. The interior was designed so that the white walls and the central placement of the altar and crucifix foster a focus on devotion, silence, prayer, and the proclamation of the Gospel. Noteworthy is the preserved iron bell with a hand pull, which survived all wars unscathed and is therefore a rarity in its form. The church has a hipped roof and boasts impressive acoustics inside the building. Here, every song becomes an experience.  The church is open year-round, and services are held regularly during the summer months.

Wolkwitz Church

Wolkwitz Church

Wolkwitz

A nearly rectangular hall church, with the earliest structures dating from the 13th century. The church is part of the Protestant parish in Kummerow.

Church Zarrentin

Church Zarrentin

Zarrentin

Church of St. Peter & St. Paul in Zarrentin Zarrentin Church is a Gothic parish church and former monastery church in the historic town center of Zarrentin am Schaalsee. The Romanesque fieldstone and brick church was a village church in the first half of the 13th century. Around 1250, the Zarrentin convent was founded as a Cistercian monastery. The parish church now became the convent church. The Romanesque fieldstone masonry of the square choir dates back to the 1230s/40s. In 1460, using parts of the old church, the current Gothic nave was built from bricks. In 1552, the nunnery was dissolved and the church was once again the parish church of the village.

Zinnowitz Church

Zinnowitz Church

Zinnowitz

The Zinnowitz Church was built at the end of the 19th century. Today, it also serves as a venue for concerts. At the end of the 19th century, as the number of overnight guests and residents grew significantly, the cornerstone for the Zinnowitz Protestant Church was laid. After only one year of construction, the church was consecrated in 1895. Completely restored in 1990, the church is not only a place of worship but also a venue for concerts, especially during the summer months.

Ruins of the Old Panstorf Church

Ruins of the Old Panstorf Church

Remplin

Ruins of a 14th-century church.