Sights

1,987 locations, 17 categories.

Map
Climate forest Mirow

Climate forest Mirow

Here near Mirow in the Mecklenburg Lake District, 2.8 hectares of primarily red alder trees are growing, which were financed through the sale of forest shares between 2008 and 2011. This climate forest will bind approx. 2600 tons of CO2 from the atmosphere during its growth period. How to find the Mirow climate forest The Mirow reforestation area is located approximately one kilometer southwest of the village of Zirtow in the district of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. The climate forest can be reached via the B198 federal road between Mirow and Wesenberg. Parking is available directly on the main road. Forest shares for our climate forests Since 2007, over 100 hectares of new, climate change-adapted forest have been planted at 19 different locations in all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Climate Forest Neubrandenburg

Climate Forest Neubrandenburg

In cooperation with the Neubrandenburg municipal forestry office, 300 shares were acquired by a company based in Neustrelitz. Together with the company, residents of the region were involved in planting a climatic forest of 2000 sessile oaks on an area of 0.3 hectares. The planting took place on 10.04.2010. How to find the reforestation area in Neubrandeburg-Nettelkuhl The climate forest reforestation area can be reached via the B 96/L 35 in or from the direction of Altentreptow / Stralsund. Turn into the street "Am Eschenhof" towards the Datzeberg industrial estate, where you will find ample parking facilities. Forest shares for our climate forests Since 2007, more than 100 hectares of new, climate change-adapted forest have been planted at 19 different locations in all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Neustrelitz climate forest

Neustrelitz climate forest

The kick-off for the creation of our climate forests in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern took place on November 28, 2007 near Neustrelitz, where the first 100 sessile oaks were planted on an area of approx. 2,000 m². Financing was provided by the rail travel specialist Ameropa and the MeetMV conference pool of the MV tourism association through the purchase of forest shares designed for this purpose. How to find the Neustrelitz climate forest Coming from Neustrelitz, you can reach the area via the B96 towards Neubrandenburg. After the village of Weisdin, turn right onto the L34 towards Blankensee. In the village of Blumenhagen, turn right before the bus stop and follow the unpaved road for approx. 1.1 km. There is a parking area for vehicles on an agricultural set-aside area. From there, the reforestation area can be reached on foot (320m). Forest shares for our climate forests Since 2007, more than 100 hectares of new, climate change-adapted forest have been planted at 19 different locations in all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Climate forest Schuenhagen

Climate forest Schuenhagen

A new forest area has been created in the "North West Pomeranian Forest Landscape" in the Fischland-Darß-Zingst region in the immediate vicinity of the Schuenhagen forestry office building. This climate forest is dedicated as the "1st German-American Climate Forest". Together with the American Tourism Society, a major planting event was held on October 28, 2009, in which other forest campaigners were of course also happy to participate. The Schuenhagen climate forest was reforested in 2008 by planting bird cherry as the main tree species in a mixture with other noble tree species. As a result of extreme flooding in 20011 , there were major losses of seedlings, which were subsequently compensated for by planting 1000 hornbeams. In addition, for ecological reasons, a stepped forest edge was created using species such as blackthorn, viburnum and tree species such as field maple and wild apple. After 14 years, the trees have developed very well and reached an impressive height of 7 m to 10 m. How to find the Schuenhagen climate forest The reforestation area is located near the village of Schuenhagen. It can be reached via the L 212, approx. 2 km south of Velgast in the direction of Richtenberg/Franzburg. Parking is available directly at the Schuenhagen forestry office. From there, please follow the signs for "Klimawald". From there it is about 200 m on foot to the reforestation area. Forest shares for our climate forests Since 2007, more than 100 hectares of new, climate change-adapted forest have been planted at 19 different locations in all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Climate forest Seefelder Holz

Climate forest Seefelder Holz

This climate forest between Wismar and Grevesmühlen was opened in spring 2012 with a planting campaign. The event was organized by the Schwerin-based energy supplier WEMAG together with the state forestry department and the MV tourism association. Over a thousand English oaks and typical forest edge trees such as wild fruit trees and shrubs marked the start of the development of this site, which has now unmistakably found its rightful place in the series of climate forests in MV. How to find the reforestation area in Seefelder Holz The reforestation area is located near the village of Mühlen Eichsen, directly on the 208 federal highway between Wismar and Gadebusch. Coming from Mühlen Eichsen, follow the B 208 in the direction of Wismar. About 1.3 km after leaving the village, turn right onto the Plattenweg towards the forest. The reforestation area is approx. 400 m away on the left-hand side in front of the forest area. Coming from Schwerin, turn right shortly after Seefeld; the reforestation area is located at the edge of the forest on the left. Forest shares for our climate forests In all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, a total of over 100 hectares of new forests adapted to climate change have been planted at 19 different locations since 2007. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Climate forest Sehlen

Climate forest Sehlen

The third climate forest on Rügen was officially opened with a planting campaign on October 20, 2018. Over a total area of around one hectare, lime, elm and woodland edge trees were gradually planted over the following three years. How to find the Klimawald Sehlen: The area is centrally located on the island of Rügen, on the outskirts of the village of Sehlen south of the district town of Bergen. You can reach it via the B 96. About halfway between Samtens and Bergen, turn onto the L 291 country road in the direction of Sehlen. Within the village, turn left onto Grüner Weg until you reach the edge of the forest, then left at the edge of the forest until you reach the end of the path at a meadow. From there you can walk about 200 m to the reforestation area. Forest shares for our climate forests Since 2007, more than 100 hectares of new forest adapted to climate change have been planted at 19 different locations in all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Climate forest Stubnitz

Climate forest Stubnitz

Opened on October 24, 2015, this second climate forest created on the island of Rügen covers a total area of 1.07 hectares, which was planted in three annual stages during the "Rügen Week of Sustainability". The former paddock was mainly planted with elm and bird cherry, but also oak and lime trees. The area is located on the edge of the Jasmund National Park in the immediate vicinity of the visitor center at the Königsstuhl. How to find the Klimawald Stubnitz on Rügen The reforestation area is located on the Jasmund peninsula in the north-east of the island of Rügen, around 6 km north of the town of Sassnitz. You can reach the area coming from Sassnitz via the L 303 road in the direction of Lohme. After about 5.5 km at the exit of the forest area (Jasmund National Park), you will find the large Königsstuhl parking lot on the right-hand side at the entrance to Hagen, from where you can reach the reforestation area via an approximately 400 m long footpath towards the National Park Visitor Center. Forest shares for our climate forests Since 2007, more than 100 hectares of new forest adapted to climate change have been planted at 19 different locations in all parts of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The reforestation of these additional areas was financed by "forest shares" from holidaymakers, residents and companies. During planting campaigns for our climate forests, guests can talk to forestry experts and learn exciting details about the forest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. - More information about the forest share -

Malchow Monastery

Malchow Monastery

Go on a journey of discovery in the shadow of the monastery and spend a day in the impressive Malchow monastery complex directly on Lake Malchow. The monastery, which was founded in Neu Röbel an der Müritz before 1274, was moved to Alt Malchow on the southern shore of Lake Malchow on May 29, 1298. While most monasteries were dissolved during the Reformation in 1572, the Protestant faith came to Malchow and it was converted into a ladies' convent. Together with the monasteries of Dobbertin and Ribnitz, it formed the three regional monasteries, which were placed under state supervision in 1918. Read more...

Ribnitz Monastery

Ribnitz Monastery

Ribnitz-Damgarten

Lady of the world - but also a nun - permanent exhibition on the history of the monastery and convent in Ribnitz Monastery. In 1323, Prince Henry the Lion founded a monastery for the Order of St. Clare, which particularly venerated its founder and rule-giver, St. Clare of Assisi (1193 - 1253). Richly endowed with land, the monastery quickly developed into an important convent. Today, the monastery complex with its Gothic church is a small treasure trove. A large part of the medieval furnishings have been preserved to this day. The exhibition "Lady of the world, but also a nun" on the history of the convent and monastery leads through the convent church and shows the many treasures of the convent. Visitors can trace the life of the Poor Clares and discover interesting facts about Mecklenburg's regional and aristocratic history. There are only a few places left in Mecklenburg that convey so much historical aura to their visitors. The monastery is also home to the German Amber Museum. The exhibitions are linked and can be experienced together.

Sonnenkamp Monastery

Sonnenkamp Monastery

Neukloster

The monastery church with the oldest stained glass windows in northern Germany, the provost's building and the bell tower are all buildings that have been preserved. The town of Neukloster lies to the east of Wismar on Lake Neukloster. Only the monastery church, the bell tower and the provost building remain of the former Benedictine monastery, now the Sonnenkamp monastery, which was founded there in 1219 under the name Campus Solis. The monastery was secularized in 1555 as part of the Reformation. Large parts of the grounds subsequently fell into disrepair. However, a visit to the monastery church is still worthwhile today. Here visitors will find some of the oldest stained glass in northern Germany. They were created around 1250, depict various saints and are located in the choir's group of three windows. Various herbs grow in the monastery garden, which is modeled on the one in St. Gallen in Switzerland. The altar of the Virgin Mary was created around 1500 by an unknown master. The carved predella consists of parts of another altar and is significantly older (around 1420). It depicts scenes and figures of saints. The monastery church also has a bell tower, which was built at the beginning of the 15th century and originally had three bells. One bell was lost in the Second World War, but was recast in May 2002 so that Neukloster now has a full peal of bells again. The bell tower attracts visitors with exhibitions and the monastery church with its art treasures. The stepped gable of the provostry is a special gem of brick Gothic architecture.

St. Annen and Brigitten Monastery

St. Annen and Brigitten Monastery

Stralsund

The house, dedicated to St. Anne, was handed over to the Order of the Augustinian Sisters by Hans Bure in 1480. The chapel has been restored and is open to the public since 2007. After the last nuns of the Brigittine convent in Mariakron died in 1560, the extensive lands were assigned to the St. Anne Foundation. This led to the establishment of the St. Anne and Brigittine Convent on Schillstraße. That same year, it was also decided that the convent would serve as a home for destitute widows and unmarried women from the upper middle class. The chapel was likely built in the courtyard at the beginning of the 16th century. In 1842, as part of urgent renovation work, the convent received its own organ from master organ builder Buchholz. The most recent renovation took place from 2003 to 2007. Since then, weddings have also been held in the chapel.

Malchow Monastery Café

Malchow Monastery Café

Over 700 years ago, nuns used to meet in the refectory of the former ladies' convent, the oldest building in the Malchow monastery, to eat together. Now the cloister welcomes visitors with the tempting aroma of fresh coffee. Culinary temptations await you in the historic rooms of the convent café or in the tranquil convent courtyard. The surroundings invite you to linger after a walk or a visit to the museum.

Dargun Monastery Shop

Dargun Monastery Shop

Dargun

The rustic monastery store is located in the former granary building of the Dargun monastery and castle complex. We stock regional products, handicrafts and specialties from our own production as well as from the region. Souvenirs and small gifts for your loved ones or yourself are guaranteed to be found here. Wild boar salami, chutneys, spices, handmade chocolate truffles - the Darguner Klostervogt has a wide range of regional products. If you like, you can book a table in the bright and comfortably furnished vaulted room above the store and sample a selection of the numerous specialties. The Klostervogt will cater to the wishes of his guests. It is ideal to combine the tasting with a guided tour of the monastery and castle grounds or a visit to the lovingly maintained museum on the grounds. During these culinary tours, guests slip into the role of the former Cistercian monks themselves and embark on an entertaining and wholesome journey through time. These group events for up to 24 people are individually tailored to the visitors and must be booked in advance. Browsing and shopping in the monastery store is possible daily from 10 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 4 pm.

Eldena monastery ruins

Eldena monastery ruins

The monastery ruins and park are a popular excursion destination for Greifswald residents and their guests. The monastery ruins are also the starting and finishing point of the themed cycle path "Route of North German Romanticism", which traces the stations and lives of the North German Romantics of Western Pomerania. Caspar David Friedrich (1774-1840) made the ruins of the medieval Cistercian monastery of Eldena widely known with his paintings and drawings. The remains of the once important monastery are embedded in a park with old trees, including 180-year-old oaks, which illustrate Friedrich's ideas and characterize the romantic atmosphere of the grounds. The main accent of the ruins is the imposing west façade of the former monastery church with its high ogival window opening. The Hilda (Eldena) monastery was founded in 1199 after Cistercian monks were forced to abandon their monastery in Dargun as a result of armed conflict. The new monastery was built to the east of the future town of Greifswald, at the mouth of the River Ryck into the Danish Wiek. In 1248, the "oppidum Gripheswald" was first mentioned in a document among the monastery's possessions and in 1250, today's Greifswald was granted town charter. The monastery ruins are located in the Eldena district, in the immediate vicinity of the fishing village of Wieck and the Greifswald Bodden. In the Middle Ages, Eldena was the most important monastery in the region, the economic and spiritual center of the area and reached its heyday around 1400. From the early 13th century to the beginning of the 15th century, it was structurally designed to reflect its importance. The monastery existed until the Reformation in the region in 1533 and subsequently fell into disrepair. In 1634, the University of Greifswald received the Office of Eldena from the last Duke of Pomerania, Bogislaw XIV, and with it the monastery grounds and associated land. After plundering by imperial and Swedish troops during the Thirty Years' War, the remains of the medieval monastery complex fell into disrepair. From the second half of the 17th century, they were even used as a quarry for fortifications and university buildings in Greifswald. The rescue of the complex is largely due to the intervention of the Prussian Crown Prince Friedrich Wilhelm (1795-1861, later King Friedrich Wilhelm IV), who was enthusiastic about romantic ideas. In 1827, he found the ruins in a dilapidated state. As a result, the first clearing and restoration work was carried out between 1828 and 1832 and a park was laid out to make the site accessible. Oak trees were planted in place of the missing nave pillars. The merging of the eternally recurring nature with the venerable architectural evidence of an irretrievably past time carries a profound symbolism that also captivates today's visitors at all times of the year and day. Caspar David Friedrich, born in Greifswald in 1774, made the Eldena monastery ruins world-famous. He is now considered the most important painter and draughtsman of early German Romanticism and used sketches of the monastery ruins as models for his paintings "Winter", "Monastery Ruins in the Giant Mountains" and "Abbey in Eichwald", among others. Some of his works are on display in the Pomeranian State Museum. In the Caspar David Friedrich Center in Greifswald's city centre, you can experience the life and work of the painter in an impressive way. The post-Reformation history of the estate includes the expansion of the Amtsgut and the founding of an agricultural academy in 1835, which existed until 1876. The remaining monastery buildings were also used for agricultural purposes. The monastery ruins have been owned by the University and Hanseatic City of Greifswald since 1937. Nowadays, the monastery ruins and the surrounding park are a popular local recreation area, a landmark of the town and a backdrop for filming and various events. In summer, there are regular theater performances, the Eldena Monastery Market (since 2014), the Eldena Jazz Evenings (since 1981) and other concerts and events. The monastery ruins are a stop on the Caspar David Friedrich Picture Trail and the European Route of Brick Gothic. Parking & directions: https://www.greifswald.de/de/freizeit-kultur/veranstaltungen/maerkte/klostermarkt/anfahrt-klosterruine-eldena/ Route of North German Romanticism: Eldena monastery ruins - Friedrich's favorite motif Caspar David Friedrich was born in Greifswald on September 5, 1774 and is considered the most important painter and draughtsman of early German Romanticism. In his paintings "Winter" and "Abbey in Eichwald", he used sketches of the ruins of Eldena Abbey as models, making them world-famous. During his visits home, Caspar David Friedrich constantly rediscovered the architecture of the monastery ruins. He drew it from all perspectives. The high west façade was of particular interest to him, as it forms the focal point of many of his works. His paintings brought the ruins into the public eye. This is the starting and finishing point of the themed cycle route "Route of North German Romanticism".

Monastery Meadows

Monastery Meadows

Ribnitz-Damgarten

The Klosterwiesen in Ribnitz-Damgarten is a charming park directly adjacent to the former Ribnitz Poor Clare Convent The Klosterwiesen in Ribnitz-Damgarten are located right next to the former Poor Clares convent with its impressive convent church. This expansive green space uniquely combines history, relaxation, and recreation. Amid old trees and well-manicured lawns, paths invite visitors to stroll and linger. A central attraction is the playground, which invites families and children to run around and explore. The offerings are complemented by a calisthenics area, which provides sports enthusiasts with a variety of opportunities for outdoor exercise and training. With its open layout, proximity to the German Amber Museum, and the monastery church, the Klosterwiese is a lively gathering place for all generations—a place where culture, exercise, and relaxation come together in harmony.

Clubfoot oak

Clubfoot oak

"Natural wonder" in the Appelhäger Forest near Teterow The clubfoot oak can be found in the Teterower Heidberge nature reserve. It got its name from the strong growth at the base of its trunk, which is 2.5 m in diameter. NSG Teterower Heidberge covers an area of around 200 hectares with deciduous forest, kettle bogs and grassland, 237 recorded species of fungi, over 70 breeding bird species, and several endangered species such as dyer's broom, dove's scabious and cracking strawberry thrive on the heat-exposed sites.

Klütz city garden

Klütz city garden

There is a special place in the middle of Klütz: the Klützer Stadtgarten. As a small green oasis surrounded by historical scenery, it combines nature, encounters and culture and invites locals and guests alike to linger. Events in the open air The Stadtgarten is a lively event area in Klütz and presents itself as a green stage for highlights large and small: Children's pirate shows, a colorful Easter market, maypole celebrations, atmospheric light magic, open-air silent movie nights, live music and much more. Whether family-friendly, creative or cultural - the Stadtgarten offers the perfect setting for a variety of open-air events. Join in, linger, meet people In addition to events, the Klützer Stadtgarten is a place to take a deep breath. An area full of flowers invites you to relax, benches to sit, chat and observe. Everyone is cordially invited to actively help shape the garden - by taking care of it together in spring, summer and fall. In spring and summer, every Wednesday at 6 p.m., it's time to drop by, chat or tend the garden and be part of the community. The Klützer Stadtgarten: open, lively and in the middle of Klütz

Knieper Gate

Knieper Gate

Stralsund

The gate to Stralsund’s Old Market. The city’s northern gate is one of what were once 10 city gates. The Kniepertor was first mentioned in a document as early as 1293 and was named after an influential family of citizens who were active in the Hanseatic city during the thirteenth century. It is the northernmost of Stralsund’s original ten city gates. The rectangular structure, with its low tower and a pointed-arch passageway, took on its present form in the 15th century. Today, only the inner gate remains, as the outer Knieper Gate and the gatekeeper’s house were demolished in 1874 to improve traffic flow. Knieperstraße connects the Old Market with the Knieper Gate. A memorial stone and a commemorative plaque on the side of the gate facing the city honor Friedrich Gustav von Petersson, a comrade-in-arms of Ferdinand von Schill. The Knieper Gate is a designated historic monument and is part of the Brick Route in Stralsund.

Koeppen House

Koeppen House

Greifswald

The Koeppenhaus in Greifswald houses a literary center that offers a wide variety of events. The gallery features rotating exhibitions exploring literary themes and a special exhibition dedicated to Wolfgang Koeppen. The birthplace of the writer Wolfgang Koeppen (1906–1996) was opened as a literary center in 2002. It serves as the Wolfgang Koeppen Memorial and as a venue for events such as readings. Visitors can tour Koeppen’s Munich study and his estate—which includes 11,000 volumes held by the University of Greifswald (archive accessible by appointment)—as well as temporary exhibitions exploring the intersection of art and literature. In addition to exhibitions, readings, concerts, lectures, and films, there is a literary café.

Commander's House

Commander's House

Schwerin

The Commander’s House on the southern shore of the Pfaffenteich in Schwerin is an elegant example of Neoclassical architecture and served as the official residence and headquarters of the commander of the Grenadier Guard Battalion. Built between 1836 and 1837, it is a symbol of the reform and modernization of the Mecklenburg military under Grand Duke Paul Friedrich. The highly prestigious Commander’s House is located on the southern shore of the Pfaffenteich. The former official residence and headquarters of the commander of the Grenadier Guard Battalion captivates with its elegant, understated simplicity. Even before the relocation of the residence from Ludwigslust to Schwerin, Grand Duke Paul Friedrich had made the relocation and modernization of the Mecklenburg military his top priority. At the age of ten, he had already joined the Ludwigslust Grenadier Guard Battalion and, at just 22 years old, was appointed Major General of Mecklenburg-Schwerin: Hereditary Duke Paul Friedrich. He had served as commander since 1830. When he assumed the regency as Grand Duke in 1837, he continued to devote himself primarily to a comprehensive reform of the Mecklenburg military. Through investments in training, facilities, and equipment, the Mecklenburg units were modernized.  To expand the city, its outskirts—including Ostorfer Berg, Werderstraße, and the Reifferbahn—offered the best conditions: The first construction project of this reform and modernization was the Commandant’s House, built by Georg Adolph Demmler from 1836 to 1837. Today, the ground floor houses a retail space, and the upper floors are used as residential and commercial spaces. About the Style The Commander’s House was built as an office and residence for the commander of the Mecklenburg Brigade, Major General Hartwig von Elderhorst, as a plastered half-timbered structure. Grand Duke Paul Friedrich commissioned Georg Adolph Demmler to carry out the construction.  The north-facing main facade features nine bays. The ground floor was planned as a retail space even at the time of construction, and a store continues to operate there today. The round-arched openings were restored during the building’s renovation.  The entrances and windows in the base section of the half-timbered building’s facades feature round arches. Demmler designed the structure in accordance with the canons of Neoclassical composition. The window heights on the bel étage and the upper story are proportionally reduced as they rise upward. The decorative gables with stuccoed pinnacles on the bel étage, which have been preserved to this day, reflect the historic function of the official residence as a commander’s quarters. In 1883, the complex passed into private hands through an exchange. The windows on the upper floor are rectangular with straight window canopies. With their profiled sill cornices, they rest on a continuous string course. Above them, two pinnacles refer to the owner, Major General Elderhorst. The windows on the second floor are lower and lack window canopies. A corbel cornice caps the façade. The overhang of the flat roof had already been removed by the end of the 19th century and replaced with a balustrade.

Concert Garden East

Concert Garden East

Kühlungsborn

The concert garden in Kühlungsborn Ost hosts a wide variety of open-air events throughout the year. More than 100 years ago, an architect designed the concert garden in such a way that the rows of spectators, the circular square and the area surrounding the eight-sided, reed-covered columned pavilion (now the town library) were each combined as separate areas to form a unified overall complex. In addition to the numerous events for all ages and tastes that take place throughout the year, the concert garden is also an excellent place to take a break from the hustle and bustle and enjoy the sun on one of the many benches. The concert garden is open for you every day.

Concert Garden West

Concert Garden West

Kühlungsborn

The Konzertgarten West offers space for open-air events of all kinds. The Konzertgarten West acts as a link between the coastal forest that ends there and Baltic-Platz. It is the cultural center of the West district in Kühlungsborn. It is used for events of all kinds, not only in summer but also in winter. At the same time, it acts as a wind-protected quiet zone with a view of the sea and invites you to relax. The concert garden is open daily.

Neubrandenburg Concert Church

Neubrandenburg Concert Church

Neubrandenburg

As a concert church, St. Mary’s Church offers a unique contrast—from a sublime acoustic experience to a remarkable architectural one. Outside: a Gothic brick church. Inside: a concert hall made of glass, concrete, steel, and wood. Construction began in the early 13th century as a fieldstone structure; in 1298, St. Mary’s Church was consecrated by the Bishop of Havelberg. It was almost completely destroyed during World War II and has been owned by the city since 1975. In 2001, the building was inaugurated as a concert hall with a performance by the Neubrandenburg Philharmonic. The design is by Finnish architect Pekka Salminen. The building has remained a historic landmark of the city, though its use has changed. Whether it’s a philharmonic concert, opera, musical, ballet, reading, or recital—all genres find a unique performance atmosphere and their own special acoustics here. In June 2007, a permanent special exhibition titled “Paths to Brick Gothic—Defense and Decoration in Neubrandenburg” opened in the tower of the Konzertkirche. Since July 2017, the “Queen of Instruments”—a new organ with 2,852 pipes—has played a key role in shaping the concert program. The climb up to the balustrade via the belfry offers an impressive view of the “City of Four Gates” on Lake Tollense.

Elbe Cycle Route North coordination office

Elbe Cycle Route North coordination office

Lauenburg/ Elbe)

c/o Herzogtum Lauenburg Marketing und Service GmbH Germany's most popular long-distance cycle route.