Real estate market Mecklenburgische Seenplatte

Median purchase price 1.857 €/m² - 5.934 Offers

Culture and enjoymentDargunLake DistrictMeckl-SwitzerlandMeckl. SwitzerlandMeckl. Switzerland and Lake DistrictMecklenburg Lake DistrictPOI base entry: CategoriesPOIsParks and gardensProduct linesTMVto-mv.de

Dargun Castle Park

Dargun Castle Park
📍

Schloss 10

17159 Dargun

In Dargun Castle Park, you can stroll along historical paths, visit the castle grounds and the museum and browse in the Dargun monastery store. Today's castle garden shows traces of the Renaissance, Baroque and 19th century as well as a careful reconstruction in recent years. The parterre fields around the pavilion, indicated by slightly lower grass paths, are reminiscent of the design of the palace garden in Güstrow. The Renaissance garden was created under Duke Johann Albrecht, who was a frequent visitor to Dargun. The gardens were devastated during the Thirty Years' War. Under Duke Gustav Adolf, the palace garden was redesigned in the Baroque style. The old yew trees are the remains of Baroque topiary. The garden quarters are aligned with the tea pavilion, which was built around 1690. The relationship to the palace was important for the Baroque garden. The garden was accessed from the double flight of steps at the south-west tower. According to a plan by Klett, court gardener in Schwerin, the four-row chestnut avenue with red flowering chestnut trees was planted along the western castle entrance to the Yellow Gate in the last century and the pergola with hornbeams was created south of the church entrance. The agricultural school, which moved into the castle in 1873, used the castle garden for teaching purposes. After 1945, the grounds were parceled out for allotments and a small zoo was created. With the reconstruction of the garden, the allotments were relocated and an open orchard was re-established. Klett's arcade was reconstructed and one row of the four-row avenue was planted with red-flowering chestnut trees. Today, in the extensive park you can see yew trees that are over 300 years old, a hornbeam arcade, a ginkgo tree, a large orchard, a fish ladder completed in 2016 and the tea pavilion, which is used as the local registry office. A barrier-free circular path for visitors with limited mobility was completed in 2020. The park is open to the public and has plenty of free parking spaces and a public toilet. You can combine a walk in the park with a tour of the monastery and castle complex, a visit to "Uns lütt Museum" or a shopping spree in the Dargun monastery store.

Further sights in Dargun

"Uns lütt Museum" Dargun

"Uns lütt Museum" Dargun

📍 Dargun

The name is deceptive, because the region's largest museum of everyday history is located in 17 rooms, on 2000m² of exhibition space and in the outdoor area - a museum you can touch and try out. A museum of a special kind is located in the former guest house of the monastery and castle complex in Dargun. It is a comprehensive collection of the ordinary and the extraordinary. The exhibits once belonged to the house, farm and garden, were needed in old crafts or were used by our ancestors in agriculture or forestry. The medicine room contains utensils used by farmers, dentists and vets. The stationmaster's "office", as it can be seen, was saved from the station at the end of Dargun's railroad history. The exhibition on flight and expulsion at the end of the Second World War with original accounts of those affected is remarkable; it also attracted a great deal of attention on northern television. Visitors to the museum will find further agricultural equipment and machines in the spacious outdoor area and on the threshing floor. Almost all of them are in working order - they are there to be touched and tried out. Go for it! Swing the blacksmith's hammer yourself, hammer cheese into the cobbler's shoes or work wood on an old draw bench in the wheelwright's workshop. And don't miss the lovingly laid out farm garden. "Uns lütt Museum", run by an association on a voluntary basis, has grown into a prestigious museum. Its dedicated members have lovingly designed the exhibition rooms, maintain the historical machines and tools and organize special exhibitions and activity days. Opening hours: April-October Saturday/Sunday 1.30 pm - 4.30 pm July/August also Wednesday and Thursday 1.30 pm - 4.30 pm Group tours all year round by appointment 039959-20381