Sukow village church
● Sukow
Neo-Gothic building by Theodor Krüger with church bell and altarpiece from the two older predecessor churches.
Today's neo-Gothic church in Sukow was designed by the Schwerin architect Theodor Krüger. It was consecrated in 1883 after three years of construction and is already the third church on the same site. A chapel was built in the second half of the 16th century when Sukow was incorporated into the parish of Pinnow, but it did not survive the Thirty Years' War. Only one church bell could be saved, as it had been buried by the inhabitants. It still hangs in the church tower together with two other bells. In 1698, as can be seen on the old weather vane, the go-ahead was given for a second church, which was demolished less than 200 years later. Characteristic of today's church are the altarpiece with Jesus of Gethsemane and a Runge organ, both dating from 1908. A second altarpiece, depicting the Last Supper, Crucifixion and Entombment of Jesus, reappeared during building work and has been placed on the south-east wall of the nave. The brick-look wall design and a wooden roof beam construction also catch the eye. The church bells have only been ringing with the help of a chiming system since 2013 and there is a church clock with dials on three sides of the tower.