Culture and enjoymentHistoric buildingsMeckl-SchwerinMeckl. SchwerinMecklenburg-SchwerinMecklenburg-SchwerinMonuments and sightsPOI base entry: CategoriesPOIsProduct linesRegionsSchwerinTMVWest Mecklenburgto-mv.de

Train station and prince's room

Train station and prince's room
Schwerin's main railway station, opened in 1847 and rich in historical architecture, is located northwest of the old town and is an important transportation hub. Its imposing station building and luxurious princely rooms are reminiscent of its imperial past. After extensive renovations, it received the "Station of the Year" award in 2008. The main station is located to the north-west of the old town. Mecklenburg's first railroad line was sealed on November 8, 1841 by a state treaty between the five states of Prussia, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Denmark, Lübeck and Hamburg as part of the new Berlin - Hamburg project. With Grand Duke Friedrich Franz II assuming half of the costs, the line was extended from today's Hagenow-Land past Ludwigslust and Grabow to Boitzenburg and later to Kiel. On March 10, 1846, the Mecklenburg Friedrich-Franz-Eisenbahn received the concession to build the Hagenow - Schwerin line and secured the connection to the Berlin - Hamburg line. Like the Prussian lines, it remained under its own administration until 1945. At that time The station at Luisenplatz was inaugurated on May 1, 1847. It had an external tunnel with two entrance pavilions. They were replaced in 1889 - 1890 by the current reception hall and extended by the adjoining Fürstenzimmer to the south. To the south of the reception building was a separate tunnel with entrances towards the city and Paulstadt. In 1927, the representative entrance hall was extended below the tracks and the external tunnel was filled in. The fountain with the bronze sculpture, Rescue from distress at sea, 1910 by Hugo Berwald was erected on Luisenplatz. Style According to plans by Ernst Möller, the reception building and the tunnel entrances were designed in a historicist style. The central pavilion of the reception hall is connected to two corner pavilions by two lower intermediate elements. The furnished royal rooms are given a wall-mounted, historicist interior for the reception of royalty or their imperial guests. Location After a thorough renovation, Schwerin Central Station is reopened in 2005 and awarded the title of Station of the Year (cities under 100,000) in 2008. The station forecourt is renamed Grunthalplatz in memory of Marianne Grunthal, who was hanged by SS henchmen from a lamppost on the station square shortly before the end of the Second World War in 1945. 14,000 travelers use Schwerin Central Station every day.