ArtArt and cultureCulture and enjoymentGNTB-KGHistoric buildingsMeckSN-MapMeckl-SchwerinMeckl. SchwerinMecklenburg-SchwerinMecklenburg-SchwerinPOI base entry: CategoriesPOIsParchimProduct linesRegionsTMVTVMeckSN campaignsWest Mecklenburgto-mv.de

Old town hall in Parchim

Old town hall in Parchim
The impressive Parchim town hall with its unique cellar dates back to the 14th century. The Parchim town hall rises impressively from the market square. It is a building with an impressive history and tradition. As the actual administrative seat, it was also the seat of a court, a food store for foreign troops, a stable, a barn and a wine cellar. The cellar with its cross-ribbed vaults, which are supported in the middle of the room by massive brick octagonal pillars, still retains much of its former appearance. This Gothic town hall cellar is unparalleled far and wide. The town hall is part of the European Route of Brick Gothic. Guided tours of the town hall for groups, especially school classes or kindergarten groups, can be organized on request. The robber Vieting visits the town hall cellar as part of the "Pea Trail" costume tour. Soon after Parchim became a town (documented in 1225/26), it built a town hall on the market square and the independent new town of Parchim, which was founded around 1246, also had its own town hall. After the unification of the two parts of the town in 1282, meetings of the councillors took place in the town hall of the old town. In 1481, the town hall became the seat of the town's financial administration. From 1667 to 1708, the town hall housed the highest regional court, the Mecklenburg Land and Court Court. However, the town administration was primarily based in the new Ratsbude, built in 1669, which no longer exists today. From the fall of 1818, the town hall was used to house the High Court of Appeal for Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz. On 01.10.1840, the Mecklenburg Supreme Court of Appeal was moved from Parchim to Rostock. Since then, the town hall has once again been the seat of the administration and still is today. The town hall was completely renovated between 1993 and 1998.