Culture and enjoymentHistoric buildingsMeckl-SchwerinMeckl. SchwerinMecklenburg-SchwerinMecklenburg-SchwerinMonuments and sightsPOI base entry: CategoriesPOIsProduct linesRegionsSchwerinTMVWest Mecklenburgto-mv.de
Old Palace
The Old Palace is located on the Old Garden, on the corner of Schlossstraße, with its east façade facing the palace. The Old Palace, also known as the Alexandrinenpalais or Erbprinzenpalais, has been an important part of Schwerin's residential ensemble since 1801 due to its courtly use.
It is located on the west side of the Old Garden, the castle grounds of the Grand Ducal Palace: the Old Palace, also known as the Hereditary Prince's Palace or the Widow's Palace. The half-timbered building between the State Chancellery and the theater has many names - and history tells us why.
The palace was built around 1705 for Hereditary Prince Karl Leopold. Hereditary Prince Franz also lived in it until he took over the reins of government.
In 1799, the Erbprinzenpalais was modernized. Friedrich Franz had commissioned Johann Georg Barca to do this. He was to renovate everything for Hereditary Prince Friedrich Ludwig and his wife Helena Pavlovna and extend it by four axes to the north.
Around 40 years later, another extension was added, this time for Grand Duke Paul Friedrich, who wanted to set up his temporary residence there in 1837. Georg Adolph Demmler carried out this conversion. After the Grand Duke's sudden death in 1842, his widow Grand Duchess Alexandrine lived here until her death in 1892.
The style
The two-storey palace is half-timbered. It has a hipped roof with large three-axis mansard gables and dwarf houses. The representative two-winged complex has been preserved to this day. The building is a listed building and is now the seat of the state parliament administration.
Architecture and style
The palace has two storeys and is built in the half-timbered style. It has a hipped roof characterized by large, three-axis mansard gables and dwarf houses. The representative two-winged complex of the palace has been preserved in its original state to this day.
Today, the building is used by the state parliament administration.